Monday, December 19, 2011

Music For A Monday - Bad Brains

How did a band of all black dudes that had strong religious overtones in their lyrics flourish in the predominantly white and secular punk music scene? The best reason I can come up with is that they wrote better music and played that music a lot harder than most of bands at the time. Bad Brains is one of the bands that I would turn up to 11 in my bedroom and jump off my bad and sing along to in the mirror as a teenager. The tunes are so intense but still have such a danceable groove to them. On top of all that they threw in reggae tunes in the middle of all the chaos. I still don't fully comprehend the Bad Brains, but every time I hear them I get fired up and start playing air guitar.


Pay To Cum - Think about it, such a gnarly statement...


Banned In DC - Check out the fat kid with eh mohawk in this video! He is super into it, rocking his Bad Brains shirt and does a belly flop on some poor kids, Totally reminds me Sloth from Goonies.


Redbone The City - One of my favorite Bad Brains tunes.


At The Movies - I lived in a "punk" house with a bunch of dead beats and we had a 36th generation vhs copy of this whole set. It boggled my mind! It's live footage of the band mixed in with them just cruising around town. Such a killer song that ends with a backflip!!! How can you not be stoked on this!!!

9 comments:

  1. great music, raggae, you forgot the free jazz. your a kid, you don`t know shit. i took my son to see them at the house of blues last year. h.r. has lost his fire but the original band destroys. black punk metal? word.... (ebonics)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nash you put the gay in reggae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey nick i seen em in santa cruz bout a year ago and they still rip it...definately not like when i was a wee lad tho...thanks now i have em on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude! I only drink Coke Zero so I don't get so fat that I blow my knees out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only reason I blew my knee out was because I've had to lift your bike off you after you'd tackled it in my front yard the last couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. saw them when i was like 14 i think, it was bad ass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They played right outside Stockholm Skatepark back in like 1991 or so, but I was too busy trying to wire 180 nosegrind reverts on the curb. I remember it so clearly it's like it happend yesterday, I couldn't get a solid revert so I kinda pivoted around on the rear wheels every time and that made me so frustrated that I stayed in the park trying when all my friends went to see them, I'm not sure if I really regret that but I know I'll never forget it.

    Sorry, Youth gone old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw them at the Sunset junction two years ago i think. HR definetly isnt into the old stuff anymore. But they still put on a good show.

    ReplyDelete